The release manager of Lubuntu release, the community maintained Ubuntu variant featuring LXDE, Julien Lavergne just announced the availability of Lubuntu 10.04 Beta 2. Here is his release note on the mailing list:
“The Lubuntu Lucid Beta 2 is now available. Don’t forget that it’s build
with Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) which is still in Beta state of development,
so same warnings: Pre-releases of Lucid are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even frequent breakage. They are, however, recommended for Ubuntu developers and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs. We passed Feature Freeze, that mean most of the features should now be available. It’s now time for testing and fixing bugs.”
== New stuff since Beta 1 ==
* Auto-login at install time
* Support encrypted home directory
* Up-to-date lxdm, libfm and pcmanfm2
== Specific Lubuntu changes ==
Lubuntu still contains modifications not available in the official
repository, you can see them in the Lubuntu PPA  :
– New pcmanfm2 and libfm (LP: #523433)
– lubuntu-default-settings with pcmanfm2 support
– Fix for blurry shutdown-icon from elementary-icons (LP: #527345)
– Autologin support in ubiquity (LP: #546445)
– New lxdm
== Testing needed ==
Recent additions :
– pcmanfm2, the new filemanager, is still in beta state.
– The new lxdm may fixed some issue regarding the keyring and PAM
support, but it needs more tests.
== Known bugs ==
* If you test on a USB, the first screen will freeze for a moment when
you click on “Try Lubuntu …”. Just wait, it will continue as normal.
== Download ==
For those who haven’t try Lubuntu or LXDE, it’s a good chance to do it. The Lubuntu team did a great job to integrate LXDE and Ubuntu. This might be one of the best LXDE-based Ubuntu variant ever. Kudos the Lubuntu team!
== Links ==
* Lubuntu: lubuntu.net
* Twitter: twitter.com/lubuntudesktop
* Documentation: https://docs.lubuntu.net