The lead developer of Lubuntu, an Ubuntu variant featuring LXDE, Julien Lavergne just announced the availability of Lubuntu 10.04 Beta 2. Here is his release note on the mailing list:
The Lubuntu Lucid Beta 2 is now available. Don’t forget that it’s build
with Ubuntu Lucid (10.04) which is still in Beta state of development,
so same warnings :
“Pre-releases of Lucid are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a stable
system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even
frequent breakage. They are, however, recommended for Ubuntu developers
and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.”
We passed Feature Freeze, that mean most of the features should now be
available. It’s now time for testing and fixing bugs.
== New stuff since Beta 1 ==
* Auto-login at install time
* Support encrypted home directory
* Up-to-date lxdm, libfm and pcmanfm2
== Specific Lubuntu changes ==
Lubuntu still contains modifications not available in the official
repository, you can see them in the Lubuntu PPA  :
– New pcmanfm2 and libfm (LP: #523433)
– lubuntu-default-settings with pcmanfm2 support
– Fix for blurry shutdown-icon from elementary-icons (LP: #527345)
– Autologin support in ubiquity (LP: #546445)
– New lxdm
== Testing needed ==
I’ll appreciate some feedbacks about the followings recent additions :
– pcmanfm2, the new filemanager, is still in beta state. Please report
– The new lxdm may fixed some issue regarding the keyring and PAM
support, but it needs more tests.
== Known bugs ==
* If you test on a USB, the first screen will freeze for a moment when
you click on “Try Lubuntu …”. Just wait, it will continue as normal.
* See also https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/SubTeams/TestingSubTeam
== Reporting bugs ==
Bug reported during testing :
If you want to create a bootable usb system, please use the usb creator
directly on Ubuntu.
Please follow the testing process described on this page :
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/SubTeams/TestingSubTeam . You can also
report problems and bugs relative to the tests on this page.