As many people know, a Qt port of PCManFM is under heavy development. Although we released PCManFM-Qt 0.1 previously, it contains some bugs and memory leaks. Most of the issues are already solved in the latest source code in our online git repository and will be available in the next release. However, the new code depends on the latest libfm 1.2, which is not released yet. Due to the small delay of libfm release, the new release for PCManFM-Qt cannot be made at the moment. Brave users who cannot wait for the final release are encouraged to try the latest git version of libfm and PCManFM-Qt to get the latest features and fixes.
Here is a short list of what’s in the latest git version (and will be in the next release):
- Fix several important memory leaks in version 0.1
- Some optimizations for memory usage and speed are done
- Full thumbnail support (can show thumbnails for image files and other formats with external thumbnailer installed)
- Extract thumbnails from EXIF data of jpeg files (via libfm 1.2)
- Optimize column widths of detailed list view automatically
- Correctly handle desktop icons when a work area is set
- Detects icon theme automatically according to current desktop environment. No need to set an icon theme manually in LXDE, XFCE, Gnome, and Razor-Qt.
- Some other small bug fixse
The current code of PCManFM-Qt in the git repo is nearly ready for daily use. The memory usage and overall performance are acceptable, too. When Andriy finishes libfm 1.2 and makes a new release, I’ll make one for PCManFM-Qt at the same time. Before that, users are encouraged to try the git version.
> git clone git://pcmanfm.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/pcmanfm/pcmanfm-qt
For compiling the latest code in git, you also need the git version of libfm and menu-cache:
> git clone git://pcmanfm.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/pcmanfm/libfm
> git clone git://pcmanfm.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/lxde/menu-cache