OK, it’s time to tell the world what we’re doing to the file manager Here is a status report for PCManFM.
- Several bugs are fixed, and others are not. I’m currently working on fixing them.
- Directory tree will be available from side pane again in next release. I have finished 50% of the feature and hope that I can make it in the following weeks
- Tabs now takes less space when showing filenames that are too long.
- The location bar is re-written. Now auto-completion for directory paths works more correctly.
- I have implemented a simple button-style path bar recently, but to add it to PCManFM, some changes to the UI are needed so this might not be available yet in the next release.
- Integration with lxshortcut is planned. So you can create new application shortcut on the desktop easier, but this is not yet implemented.
- Status messages are now more correct and human readable.
- Some code cleanup was done to make the source code more readable to future contributors.
- While fixing bugs of PCManFM, I found a severe bug in udisks regarding to CD-ROM polling. This bug leaves the filesystem on CD-ROM mounted even after the media has been removed via pressing physical eject button on the device. I made a patch for it, but upstream authors did not accept the patch. They came up with a new solution utilizing the latest in-kernel polling provided by Linux kernel and did some fixes themselves. So in the near future, this bug will be resolved anyways.
So these are basically what I’m doing on the file manager recently. Please help if you can. Thanks a lot.