New week and time for an update regarding the translations for LXDE. During the last week some more users have started the translations in Pootle and by all means have delivered. Significant changes are noted in Danish that are 100% complete by now, good work!
If you are new to Pootle and/or translation in general take a look at the crash course at the LXDE wiki and then go grab some strings. Just some spare minutes are needed to make some languages 100% complete, others could benefit a great deal from just some minutes of work and that coul add up to a complete translation. Start with the low hanging fruit, skip LXPanel if you are not too familiar with doing translations.
By now the following languages are complete:
– Portugese (Brazilian)
And in close range of 100% is the following:
– Arabic (one string marked fuzzy in LXPanel)
– Ukrainian (one string marked fuzzy in LXLauncher, in fact it is untranslated!)
– Czech is at 87% (only LXPanel left, over two thirds are already done)
– German at 84% (missing strings in LXPanel, LXLauncher and LXMusic. The last two is small and pretty easy to finish I guess)
For the other represented languages more actions are needed to make them complete, some are close to 80% with others only done in LXMenu-data that we have imported from GNOME.
* Fix icon display problems under 64-bit systems.
* Fixes to work with minimization animation provided by window manager.
* Fix RTL problems of the task list.
* Launch console applications in terminal properly
* Some minor bug fixes
* Add some new translations
Please install menu-cache and lxmenu-data first. Otherwise you’ll get
no application menu.
Actually, the LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) project had rested for some time. Though we’re getting more and more people to join us since Linux World Expo 2008, LXDE have no much improvements since July this year. It’s happened due to our main developers didn’t have time to write new code, PCMan took time to focuses on his physician jobs, Jserv has worked for a new project which is confidential. About me, I was burdened with my family, so I also need to focus on my current jobs and my school to earn more money.
Recently, we’re planning to release a new version and new stuffs of some LXDE components for Merry Christmas. It is a great news that LXDE has a new project – “menu-cache”, which is a library creating and utilizing caches to speed up the manipulation for freedesktop.org defined application menus, and also it can be used as a replacement of libgnome-menu of gnome-menus. It means the menu-cache will speed up our LXLauncher and LXPanel menu, they will be getting faster. for supporting the menu-cache, PCMan is working hard on LXPanel right now, you can see logs of SVN everyday.
Besides, we hope to release a lxpanel-dev package for development of lxpanel plugin next version. Currently, it is difficult to write a new plugin for lxpanel, if you wanna write a new one, you have to download the LXPanel sourcecode and inject your code into the LXPanel and then copy the .so file to the system folder after compile it successful. It doesn’t make sense that is too complicated for developing a plugin. So we are tring to export header files and pkgconfig for making easy for development of plugin. Additionally, LXPanel has been reformed, lxpanel-core and lxpanel-plugin be separated. It will be helpful to maintain LXPanel sourcecode for us.
Well, I wanna make an apology for all of patch provider right now, because you guys’ patches which wasn’t applied for a long time. We are reviewing those patches currently, it will be applied as soon as possible, I hope so.
LXDE team members believe that LXDE has a great future, even if we don’t have much time to do that. Hope you guys can join us to help LXDE keeps going.
We haven’t have new releases of LXPanel for quite a long time, but the development is still ongoing.
* Greatly rewrite application menu with our new menu-cache library. Now it’s complete and more user-friendly
* Improved “Run” dialog
* Improved OSS volume plugin
* Image showed on application menu button can be changed with GUI.
* Add new temperature monitor plugin by Daniel Kesler
* Size of icons now can automatically be automatically adjusted according to the height of the panel.
* Numerous bug fixes and more…
Please get it tested since lxpanel 0.4 will be released very soon.
Note that to make the whole new menu work correctly, now menu-cache and lxmenu-data are needed. LXPanel source tarball